Elk that was shot and wounded by hunter gores the same man to death when he returned to finish the job the next day


In his final moments, the hunter spotted the same elk who ended up charging towards him.

Trigger warning: contains graphic details that may be distressing to some. 

Learning it the hard way right before his death, an archery hunter suffered a painful death after a hunting trip on private property.

Mark David, a 66-year-old hunter from Hillsboro, Oregon, was in the wooded region of Trask Road in Tillamook County, when he spotted the elk.

Using his bow and arrow, Mark was managed to hit the target, leaving the elk wounded, as reported by The Oregonian. However, the animal was able to escape from the clutches of the hunter. Although Mark searched the area looking for the wounded elk, he decided to head back and return the next day to find the animal.

As planned, Mark went out to the same area the next day, accompanied by the owner of the property and started looking around for the injured elk. It was around 9:15 in the morning when Mark spotted the elk again, he tried to shoot it down for a second time with its bow. But this time, the elk was prepared. The massive animal reportedly charged at the armed hunter, as reported by the Daily Mail.

Goring the man to death, the aggressive elk stabbed Mark in the neck with his antlers and left him with highly critical injuries. The hunter died right there on the spot, and the property owner who was with him could do nothing to save him.

The Oregon State Police said about the incident, "The landowner attempted to help David but he sustained fatal injuries and died."

After investigations were carried out into Mark's death, the elk involved in the incident was killed, according to the statement released by the police. The Tillamook County Jail received the animal's meat as a donation.

A similar incident took place about a year ago in October, 2019 in Arkansas, after which Keith Stephens, the Chief of Communications from the Arkansas Game and Fish Commission said, "I’ve worked for the Game and Fish Commission for 20 years, and it’s one of the stranger things that’s happened," according to KY3.

It was reported that Thomas Alexander, who was 66 years old, was hunting near Yellville when he came across a deer for his target. Using a muzzleloader, Thomas fired at the buck and believed he was dead after the animal fell to the ground. "I don’t know how long he left it there, but he went up to check it to make sure it was dead. And evidently it wasn’t," Keith Stephens said. "It got back up, and he had several puncture wounds on his body."

The buck gored the hunter and left him with severe injuries but he was still able to call his family from there. However, even though emergency responders arrived and Thomas was taken to the hospital, he still did not make it. The man was pronounced dead at the Baxter Regional Medical Center in Mountain Home but there was still uncertainty about the exact cause of his death.

"We're not sure that he died from the deer. It could have been other medical issues. It's my understanding that there's not going to be an autopsy. The hospital did note that he had several puncture wounds," Keith Stephens told CBS News.

As investigations were being carried out at the time, officers could not determine whether the deer survived after the incident even after two K9 units were sent for a search. Although these incidents are "very rare," Keith Stephens added that Thomas was not the first person in Arkansas to go through such a thing. A hunter in 2016 went through the same as Thomas but he lived to tell the tale.

Posti paraprak Posti tjetër

Recent Posts